As of May 1, 2022: Temporarily CLOSED TO QUERIES.
I’m currently seeking submissions in the following genres: women’s contemporary or historical fiction; contemporary or historical single-title romance; adult real-world or secondary-world fantasy; adult science fiction.
Please note: Although I represent other categories, I am not looking to acquire anything other than the above at this time. Queries for projects in other categories will be auto-rejected. I do change this list periodically, so please check before submitting.
In all categories/genres, I am looking for stories featuring:
- Underrepresented characters/diverse POVs, whether by gender, race, sexual orientation, etc.
- #ownvoices stories
- Found families
- Strong sibling relationships, especially sisters or large families
- Excellent world building
- Fish-out-of-water stories
- “New” settings, places that have not been overdone
- Strong writing/prose, distinctive voices, new twists on familiar tropes, and/or high concepts
- Strong hooks
- Smart characters who demonstrate blind spots/flaws/their humanity
Not for me:
- Sports romances, particularly team sports. (I could maybe go for a runner or a swimmer, maybe a figure skater, but that’s about it.)
- Epic fantasy of the Lord of the Rings variety (think dwarves, elves, orcs, etc.)
- Vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters, fae (at least for the foreseeable future).
- Big military/political stories a la Tom Clancy
- Anything with a prehistoric setting a la Clan of the Cave Bear
- Cowboy/rancher/American western-type stories. (Note: This is not geographically-based but character-based. I am happy to see other types of stories/characters set in the western states.)
- Nonfiction/poetry/picture books/adult mysteries
Specifically, I’d love to find any of the following (though not all shoehorned into ONE book, please):
- High-concept/breakout romance with a strong secondary narrative in addition to the HEA, especially rom-coms or something with a lighthearted thread. (Featuring diverse couples of all types.)
- Women’s fiction that features a long-time female friendship or close-knit sisters; would love a travel/road-trip novel, but no Thelma-and-Louise endings.
- A heroine looking at a slow/late career start/finding themselves in mid-30s to late-40s/reinventing themselves.
- Unconventional/self-made/entrepreneurial heroines.
- Fresh, creative re-imaginings of classics.
- Dual/multiple timelines.
- Magic or magical realism, especially non-Western.
- Near-future, grounded speculative SF/medical advancements/tech gone awry/climate related
- Historical fiction set between the early-nineteenth and mid-twentieth centuries, especially that does not focus on WW2 directly.
- Historical fiction with a literary tie-in.
- Literary-leaning witch novel, women’s fiction/historical/fantasy, especially something set in modern-day Salem.
Favorite recent(-ish) reads:
- RED, WHITE, AND ROYAL BLUE by Casey McQuiston
- THE BROMANCE BOOK CLUB series by Lyssa Kay Adams
- BOYFRIEND MATERIAL by Alexis Hall
- AMERICAN ROYALS by Katharine McGee
- PRIDE, PREJUDICE AND OTHER FLAVORS by Sonali Dev
- HAMNET by Maggie O’Farrell
- THE IMMORTALISTS by Chloe Benjamin
- NINTH HOUSE by Leigh Bardugo
- THE TEN THOUSAND DOORS OF JANUARY by Alix E. Harrow
- REPUTATION by Lex Croucher
- Themis Files series (SLEEPING GIANTS, WAKING GODS, and ONLY HUMAN) by Sylvain Neuvel
- WRITERS AND LOVERS by Lily King
- PIRANESI by Susanna Clarke
- THE PERFUME COLLECTOR by Kathleen Tessaro
All queries should go through my Query Manager submission portal. I look forward to reading your work.