As of April 13, 2020:
I am temporarily closed to new queries. I will update again here when I have an estimate as to when I’ll reopen.
I’m looking for new, unpublished projects in the following genres: women’s contemporary or historical fiction; contemporary or historical single-title romance; magical realism; secondary-world fantasy; science fiction; young adult and middle grade fiction of all sorts.
In general, I want voice- and character-driven fiction told with strong pacing and engaging plot twists, and stories that make me think. More specifically, I’d love to see any of the following (though not all in ONE book, please):
- High-concept/breakout romance with a strong secondary narrative in addition to the HEA, especially something with a lighthearted thread.
- Still looking for something with an antihero/hero with dubious morals; pirates, etc. As in, bad boys, please.
- Women’s fiction that features a long-time female friendship or close-knit sisters.
- Complex female characters dealing with family dynamics, identity, career.
- Dual timelines or alternate histories.
- Historical fiction set between the mid-nineteenth and mid-twentieth centuries.
- Diverse POVs/casts that reflect the makeup of the real world and #ownvoices stories of all types.
- Mainstream fiction with a magical realism or straight magic component, such as Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus, Leigh Bardugo’s Ninth House, or Robin Sloan’s Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore.
- In YA fiction – stories where the teen romance serves as a means of support during a difficult time instead of the difficulty itself; historical teen fantasy that does NOT include a teenager becoming a ruler/monarch/fighting to keep their crown; historical fiction featuring everyday teens in the midst of challenging events; something featuring a politically/socially aware teen but that’s not preaching to readers.
- In MG fiction – strong friendships and sibling relationships; a story featuring a precocious/troublemaking protagonist; kids attempting to handle something difficult/serious on their own due to distracted/absent parents.
All queries should go through my Query Manager submission portal. I look forward to reading your work.